An email to our Missionary:

I just wanted to share with you some thoughts I had about yesterday since you weren't able to be there when I was called to serve in the bishopric. I also wanted to get this down in writing so that I can look at it in the future...two birds, one stone. ;-)

I thought you might like to hear about the experience...I've never been a part of this before so it was pretty cool.

After Sacrament meeting was over, the three of us were brought into one of the empty rooms (it was the old scout room across from the young women's room) with our families. So it was President Leptich, Pederson, Lopez, Bro Wilcox (high council), Brandon Reed (Stake Clerk), the Albistons, Spravzoff's, Harlons, and us. Before we were set apart, President Leptich spoke to us and told us that this calling has been in the works for just about 6 months now. This calling is from the Lord and is sustained by Him and we are who He wants to be leading the OC 4th Ward right now. I felt the spirit so strong, it's impossible to describe. President Leptich then talked about our roles in making sure we put the youth first and that is our #1 priority and should make up about 80% of our work. 

Then he said that we needed to ordain me a High Priest first before we could be set apart since I'm still an Elder. That is where Derrick came in. I had asked him to show up to do that ordination since he is a High Priest now because he was made the 2nd counselor in his ward's bishopric just a couple of weeks ago. So, I had Derrick do that ordination, which was super spiritual and cool. It was funny because President Leptich said he had no idea that Derrick and I were such close friends. He said that he figured we must have met at YM's camp or something because he was wondering why I chose Derrick to ordain me...That was funny. 

Then Derrick ordained me to the office of High Priest, which again, was very spiritual and a moment I will never forget. 

Then when Pres Leptich laid his hands on Bishop Spravzoff's head and set him apart as Bishop, the spirit was so strong. I felt it so much in that room, I hope others did too. Pres Leptich set him apart as Bishop "under the direction of the Prophet, President Russell M. Nelson", which was so powerful. That's the only time I've ever heard that phrase uttered in a blessing or ordination or setting apart. That made that moment so worth while. 

Then Pres Pederson set Bro Harlon apart to his calling and Pres Lopez set me apart to my calling. That was a cool moment as well. 

I can't describe most of the afternoon, other than to say that it was really very spiritual and I would love to go through that moment at least a few more times in my life. I hope that I will get to. I can't remember feeling that spirit that strong, other than when I was in the MTC and a few times on my mission. I don't even remember if I felt it that strong there as I did yesterday. 

I can truly testify that the gospel is real and that THIS is the Lord's true church on the earth. After having that experience yesterday, my testimony is so much stronger. I felt the presence of the Lord in that room yesterday. Being able to experience that with your mom was like icing on the cake too. I'm so glad that you are serving the Lord, but I do wish you could have been there to experience that with us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why do bad things happen?

Sacrament Talk March 2021: Armor of God