Sacrament Talk March 2021: Armor of God

When Kaylee and Jake were little we had a family home evening lesson with this little felt guy, soft fuzzy felt. And we also had these red fiery darts made of velcro. The kids would throw their fiery darts at our little felt man and they would stick to him. Soon it was like this poor little man was just being tortured by these fiery darts! 

Well thankfully for this little guy we also had armor! We gave him his:

  • Breastplate of righteousness
  • His helmet of salvation 
  • His sword of the spirit
  • And his shield of faith so he could withstand these fiery darts!!

Do we ever feel a little like this poor felt guy? Do we ever feel a little tattered and torn, picked on or tortured by the fiery darts of the advisory?  Well we too have the ability to put on this armor of god! 

But how do we put on the whole armor of God so that we may, as Paul promises us in the New Testament, “be able to withstand in the evil day”? Ephesians 6:11–18

Elder M. Russell Ballard in Be Strong in the Lord 

I like to think of this spiritual armor not as a solid piece of metal molded to fit the body but more like chain mail. Chain mail consists of dozens of tiny pieces of steel fastened together to allow the user greater flexibility without losing protection. I say that because it has been my experience there is not one great and grand thing we can do to arm ourselves spiritually. True spiritual power lies in numerous smaller acts woven together in a fabric of spiritual fortification that protects and shields from all evil…

Just like Aubree mentioned in one of my favorite quotes!! “If you can’t do great things, so small things in a great way.”

Pres Ballard mentions a few things we can do to “put on this spiritual armor of god”

  • Rely on the Protective Power of Prayer
  • Rely on the Protective Power of the Scriptures
  • Draw on the Merciful Grace of God
  • Watch Yourselves
  • Don’t Waste the Days of Your Probation
  • Remember That Reverence Invites Revelation

1. Rely on the Protective Power of Prayer 

The Doctrine and Covenants it teaches, “Pray always, that you may come off conqueror; yea, that you may conquer Satan, and that you may escape the hands of the servants of Satan that do uphold his work” (D&C 10:5). 

Have you noticed when we talk about the amour of God, that we have protective gear, but notice the Lord also mentions a sword, something typically know for fighting back. So not only are we being protected but we have the ability to CONQUER Satan. 

I believe that every honest and sincere prayer can add another piece to chain-mail armor.

2. Rely on the Protective Power of the Scriptures

My sister told me a story of a time she was really struggling...I was praying very hard one day to know if my Father in Heaven knew what I was going through and if He really cared...I always found strength in the scriptures, so i tried the old - close eyes - open scriptures - point method.

She says, “You can imagine my disappointment when I realized it had opened up to the topical guide.  Tears trickled down my face with discouragement.  I thought, I really need a boost and I am not going to find it in the topical guide, but then when I lifted my finger I realized it was on the word KNOW.  

As I began to read through the references this is what I read:  I know thee by name,  Be still and know that I am God,  Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee,  your Father knows what things ye have need of,  He knows all things,  hear my voice and see me and know that I am,  all things are numbered unto me...and I know them.  

(Not only did He give me exactly what I needed but an overdose.  He didn't just direct me to one scripture He directed me to several with just the message I needed.  You can imagine the tears that flowed to know that He did in fact know me and what I was going through and that He cared.”)

I think it’s safe to say her breastplate of faith was made a little stronger that day through pray & scriptures and she added a few more links to her armor!! 

3. Draw on the Merciful Grace of God 

The Lord promised us through the prophet Moroni: “If men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them” (Ether 12:27).

Ok fine this week I will pray about my weaknesses, and the Lord gave me an unexpected answer that I didn’t understand, so then I thought, oh the Lord gives us weaknesses—not sin, but weaknesses

I always thought of weaknesses as...you’re not studying the scriptures enough, then yesterday I was thinking, oh wait, is he talking about weaknesses in character? In abilities? Learning disabilities, the inability to trust, depression, etc…?

Could it be that the Lord may have customized—with our full consent—our particular obstacle course of flaws and failings as well as to our strengths.

Then I found an article that was talking about the context of the scripture, this scripture was 

This passage arises from Moroni’s anxiety about his writing—what he considered awkward comparison to what he had been reading from the brother of Jared, whose writings, he records in awe, were “mighty even as thou [the Lord] art, unto the overpowering of man to read them.” (Ether 12:24.) Moroni feared: “the Gentiles shall mock.” He is reassured that “my grace is sufficient for the meek, that they shall take no advantage of your weakness.” In fact, he is promised his writing, however weak, will “become strong.” In what way? It will lead the humble to an intensity of faith, hope, and charity that “bringeth [them] unto me—the fountain of all righteousness.”

It gives me a little comfort that even MORONI was insecure

4. Watch Yourselves

King Benjamin said: “If ye do not watch yourselves, and your thoughts, and your words, and your deeds, and observe the commandments of God, … ye must perish. And now, O man, remember, and perish not” (Mosiah 4:30)

Ezra Taft benson “It is better to prepare and prevent than it is to repair and repent.” SO TRUE right? Lets get it right the first time to make things easier. 

We read in the scriptures about watchtowers and they are generally raised so that someone can climb to the top and see a greater distance to watch for dangers. If we can be like watchmen and see the big picture and warn ourselves about potential dangers we can prevent and prepare accordingly.

5. Don’t Waste the Days of Your Probation

So I have heard the phrase a dozen times and I have never stopped to think what it was about...PROBATION: the process or period of testing or observing the character or abilities of a person in a certain role. Like when you get a new job, you might have a probationary period.

We read in 2 Nephi: “Wo unto him that has the law given, … that wasteth the days of his probation” (2 Ne. 9:27). An employer is not going to keep you around if you sit at your desk with your feet up while you surf social media all day...

Elder Ballard says, “One of the ways Satan lessens your effectiveness and weakens your spiritual strength is by encouraging you to spend large blocks of your time doing things that matter very little. I speak of such things as sitting for hours on end watching television, playing video games night...after night..., surfing the Internet, or devoting huge blocks of time to sports, and games…

(OK so this was written pre-quarantine...I’m pretty sure we were all given a one year hall pass to binge watch TV this past year, so don’t beat yourself up about that...BUT IT IS TIME TO GET your act back together! It’s time to get your feet off the desk!

He continues : Remember, you can be exalted without a college degree. You can be exalted without being slender and beautiful. You can be exalted without having a successful career. You can be exalted without passing level 832 on candy crush (ok JK he didn’t say that)! So focus the best that you can on those things in life that will lead you back to the presence of God—keeping all things in their proper balance.

This reminded me of the sweet story, Elder Miskin told us about his son at Stake Conference, who was so focused on studying he didn’t even see the huge forest fire headed toward the house. . . his dad called THREE times until he finally heeded the warning...how many times will Heavenly Father have to warn you and tell you a fire is coming? The fire is coming, get that armor prepared ON, make it stronger, add more links, say those prayers, read those scriptures, draw on the mercies of God, watch your actions and lets stop wasting our days of our probational time here on earth. Plan, prepare and then do.

I’ll leave you with one last thought, and I really hope you all have a friend like mine that texts you things like this at midnight; 

"Here is your spiritual thought for the night.  D&C 27:16-17 talks specifically about putting on the armor of God and which parts of the body that armor covers.  Did you notice there is no armor for your back? Isaiah 52:12 tells us Christ is in front of us and in our “rearward”.  Can you think of anyone better to have your back?  I love this thought tonight ❤️"

No I cannot argue with that, I cannot think of anyone better to have my back then our Savior Jesus Christ. 

D&C 27 15 & 18

15 ...lift up your hearts and rejoice, and gird up your loins, and take upon you my whole armor, that ye may be able to withstand the evil day, having done all, that ye may be able to stand.

(16 Stand, therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, having on the breastplate of righteousness, and your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace, which I have sent mine angels to commit unto you;)

(17 Taking the shield of faith wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked;)

18 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of my Spirit, which I will pour out upon you, and my word which I reveal unto you, and be agreed as touching all things whatsoever ye ask of me, and be faithful until I come, and ye shall be caught up, where I am ye shall be also. In the name of Jesus Chrsti, Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We All Matter...

The McCubbins Girls